HANNIBAL, Mo. -- Authorities continue to investigate a fire that destroyed portions of a Hannibal home on Wednesday evening.
Investigator Mark L. Kempker of the Hannibal Fire Department Fire said in a release that the department has ruled the fire at 409 Olive St. as accidental and that it's believed the fire started when the resident was working on a moped engine in the basement.
Kempker stressed in the statement that while the home had smoke alarms, they were not working properly and that it is important that smoke and fire alarms remain in good condition, are tested regularly and that all families have an escape plan and meeting place.
The department was originally dispatched shortly after 11 p.m. to combat a vehicle fire. After arriving on the scene, firefighters found flames and smoke exiting the rear of the home. Residents of the home and pets were met outside by firefighters. All city stations responded with 8 on-duty crew members and six off-duty members and staff called in.
The crews who responded got the blaze under control in about 15 minutes, but crews stayed on the scene about two hours conducting salvage and overhaul operations. No injuries were reported to firefighters or other emergency personnel.
Assisting at the scene were the Hannibal Police Department, Hannibal Board of Public Works, Hannibal Building Inspector's office and the Marion County Ambulance District.