Police & Courts

General Mills plant evacuated for chemical odor

By THE HERALD-WHIG STAFF
Posted: Sep. 12, 2018 9:35 pm

HANNIBAL, Mo. -- The Hannibal Fire Department was on scene about nine hours Wednesday at the General Mills plant after a reported chemical odor that lead to the evacuation of the entire facility.

The department said a problem was found with a large cooker that overheated cooking oil producing carbon monoxide.

Firefighters were called to the plan at 10:50 a.m. on a report of a possible leak in the plant that was causing irritation of the eyes and a burning sensation to the nose and throat.

Five firefighters entered the building and detected abnormally high readings that resulted in the evacuation. The department’s hazmat team was called to the scene and it discovered the source.

The department said no injuries were reported to firefighters or on-site personnel. The scene was secured and cleared to normal air quality.

Sign up for Email Alerts

Things to Do