Police & Courts

Testimony in home invasion case alleges threats with firearm, knife

By Herald-Whig
Posted: Sep. 12, 2017 9:20 am

QUINCY -- A Liberty man testified Monday that another Liberty man forced the barrel of a gun inside his mouth and then ran a knife across his face and neck, asking him, "Are you ready to die?"

John Martineau, 53, is on trial for one count of home invasion with a dangerous weapon and one count of home invasion with a firearm.

Martineau is accused of entering the home of Ricky Liesen and threatening him with both weapons on April 18 at Liesen's home in Liberty.

Liesen testified in Adams County Circuit Court that he had just returned home from work when he heard a knock on his garage door and found Martineau at the door. Martineau walked into the house and told him he "didn't want to bring up old times" and slapped him. Martineau then pulled a black handgun and pointed it at Liesen's face and put the barrel in his mouth, Liesen said. After Martineau withdrew the weapon, he allegedly pulled out a knife and moved the blade across Liesen's face and neck.

"He told me I was the one who got him in trouble and thrown in jail for another incident," Liesen testified.

Josh Jones, lead trial attorney for the state's attorney's office, played a 911 call placed by Liesen, whose voice sounded shaky, and showed pictures of cuts on Liesen's neck and face, as well as the knife, which Martineau allegedly stuck in a kitchen cabinet.

When the photo of the knife was shown sticking in the cabinet, Martineau started shaking his head.

Liesen testified that he was able to get some distance between him and Martineau and started heading out the garage door.

"He said if I went down the steps, he was going to blow a hole in the back of my head," he said, adding that he kept walking, though he was expecting to be shot.

On cross-examination by Martineau's attorney, Public Defender Babs Brennan, Liesen said he had been social with Martineau before, including going fishing. Liesen also said he didn't try to shut the door after Martineau arrived and Martineau didn't push his way into the house.

Liesen's neighbor Ken Brady also testified that he saw Martineau pull his car into Liesen's yard, instead of the driveway, and head into the house.

Brady noted that he spoke to Liesen before he had gone inside and did not see any marks on his face and that he had a happy demeanor.

When Liesen walked out of the house with Martineau allegedly behind him, Brady testified that Liesen had lacerations on his face and was upset.

When Brady asked what happened to Liesen's face, he testified, Martineau responded, "We were talking."

Also testifying were Adams County Sheriff's Deputy Dave Mason, who took the initial report from Liesen and took the photos shown in court, and investigator Jake McMahon, who testified that the gun was never found and that Martineau's statement to police had many inconsistencies.

Testimony was to continue Tuesday, with the jury expected to start deliberating in the afternoon.

Martineau is being held in the Adams County Jail on $250,000 bond.

Sign up for Email Alerts

Things to Do