Men's College Basketball

Beyond the Boxscore: Hinton comes through as Hawks battle foul trouble

Quincy Ky. Wesleyan basketball
Quincy University forward Marcus Hinton soars in for this shot against Kentucky Wesleyan in their NCAA college basketball tournament game in Louisville, Ky., Saturday, Mar. 11, 2017. Photo by Garry Jones
By Herald-Whig
Posted: Mar. 12, 2017 2:00 am Updated: Mar. 12, 2017 2:03 am

LOUISVILLE -- The fouls kept accumulating at a rapid rate.

So did the trouble that accompanied them.

Quincy University senior forward Evan McGaughey was the first to sit Saturday night, going to the bench with two fouls after only 6 minutes, 53 seconds of the NCAA Division II Midwest Regional quarterfinal against Kentucky Wesleyan had been played. McGaughey never truly got into a flow after that, playing just 22 minutes and scored just three points -- 14 below his season average.

In his place, Marcus Hinton rose to the occasion.

Hinton, a 6-foot-7 sophomore forward from St. Louis, was the only one of Quincy's four bench players to score, tying a career high with 18 points. He made 10 of 13 free throws, getting to the basket with regularity thanks to consistent off-the-ball movement.

"I wasn't too worried because of the way Marucs came in and played," McGaughey said.

Hinton's length and athleticism allowed him to handle Kentucky Wesleyan's pressure as well as go toe-to-toe with big men Malek Harris and Michal Vigilance. Kentucky Wesleyan's starting forwards combined for 12 points, eight rebounds and three turnovers.

QU senior forward Joe Tagarelli finished with 18 points and eight rebounds as QU's frontcourt finished with 39 points and 18 rebounds.

Meanwhile, the teams combined for 52 fouls and 65 free-throw attempts. Quincy had four players finish the game with four fouls apiece, while Kentucky Wesleyan had two players foul out.


Leader of the pack

Once again, QU senior point guard Herm Senor II played more minutes than anyone, coming out of the game only twice and playing 38 minutes.

Those were 38 relentless minutes he spent fighting off Kentucky Wesleyan.

Pressured from one end of the court to the other when he had the ball, Senor stayed under control and kept the Hawks moving forward. He finished with 17 points, nine assists, four turnovers and one steal.

"You just want to make the easy play," Senor said. "You don't want to do too much."

He was 2 of 3 from 3-point range, sinking a crucial trey for a 73-66 lead with 1:12 to play. It was a shot he launched as the shot clock had just one second left, but he managed to shoot it in rhythm and follow through completely.

"You trust your instincts and not try to do too much," Senor said.


Throw it down with authority

With the Hawks leading by four and about 30 seconds remaining, McGaughey stole Kentucky Wesleyan's inbounds pass and fed Von Washington III streaking ahead of everyone down the court. With Bosley scurrying back on defense and angling to meet Washington at the basket, the QU guard attacked the rim and threw down a dunk while getting fouled.

The posterization of Bosley brought the crowd to its feet and ignited the bench.

"I knew I was going to get fouled," Washington said. "So I went up as hard as I could. I wasn't going to go up soft and miss a layup. I didn't really see him coming. I caught him out of the corner of my eye and was able to put it down.

"I think no one was expecting that. So that was kind of nice."

Washington he had to make reribution for an earlier miss that was blocked by the Panthers' Brandon Hatton, who then hit a 3-pointer

"I had to redeem myself," Washington said.

Washginton's dunk was one of the emotional highs of a game that featured a vast number of emotional ebbs and flows. Through it all, Quincy keep an even-keel.

"It's a matter of staying composed and staying together," Washington said. "There were times Kentucky Wesleyan broke down and were chirping at each other. Those are the times we kind of came together as a team and said, ‘Hey, let them break down. Stay strong and keep our emotions in check and we'll be good.'"

QU point guard Herm Senor II said it's possible because of the bond this team has built.

"It's real easy to stay composed when you have other senior leaders out there," Senor said. "We trust each other out there. We have that camaraderie off the court, so when we get on the court it's natural."


Line of the night

The NCAA asks each coach and two players to attend a postgame press conference. The Hawks were the last of the eight teams to visit the interview room, and QU coach Marty Bell sat between Senor II and Washington III with each having a name placard in front of them.

The interview room moderator also introduced each coach and player at the beginning of their session.

Midway through the press conference, Bell interjected.

"For the record, I would be Marty Bell the first," he said with a smile.

He was the only one on the podium without a Roman numberal in his name.

"We'll introduce you that way tomorrow night," the moderator said.


Sign up for Email Alerts